The Impact of Scholarship Awards on the Academic Achievement of Business Education Recipients in Tertiary Institutions in Anambra State
The general objective of this research work is to study the implication of scholarship award on academic achievement of business education recipient in tertiary institutions in Anambra state. However, the following specific objectives were formulated;
- To analyse if access to scholarships increases the academic performance of business education recipient in tertiary institutions in higher institutions in Anambra State
- To investigate the impact of scholarships on business education recipient in tertiary institutions with low soci-economic status as against business education recipient in tertiary institutions with high socio-economic status
- To investigate whether the impact of scholarships on the business education recipient in tertiary institutions’ academic achievement is positive or negative
REVIEWED OF RELATED LITERATURE
Freyeret al. (2011) conducted the study to point the effects of grants , financial aids and scholarships on student’s success and prosperity in collage. The study evaluated the success of students in attaining good grades points and then scholarship on the basis of grade points. The focus of study was to establish a suitable policy for the academic success of students through scholarships and financial assistance. In this study researcher adopted statistical techniques to research control variables of self esteem and scholarships and its interlined relationship. Regression, propensity score matching, panel data analysis and instrumental variables techniques were used to evaluate scholarships impact on students academic achievements. Mealli et al. (2012) Need based scholarship provide the cost to the students that help them in managing the expenses of education and reduce the financial Burdon of family for educated their children . With the help of scholarships students can get easy involvement in university funding. Scholarships provide students with financial assistance to continue their education. Scholarships are attained by the students for the fulfillment of various goals. scholarships stimulate to poor students towards the educational courses which they cannot afford. Ali (2013) said that academic achievement is the degree to which a pupil performs successfully a particular learning task after the completion of specific training. In the process of education academic achievement is measured by the teacher. Many factors effect the academic achievement of students. Economic status plats vital role in the learning environment of student. Higher economic status families tend to have better access to education and educational resources as compared to poor indigent students. Need based scholarship provide the cost to the students that help them in managing the expenses of education and reduce the financial Burdon of family for educated their children. With the help of scholarships students can get easy involvement in university funding. Scholarships provide students with financial assistance to continue their education. Scholarships are attained by the students for the fulfillment of various goals. Scholarships stimulate to poor students towards the educational courses which they cannot afford Tomulet al. (2013) perceived that the economically poor parents have no ability to confer the educational expenditures of students at higher level. Family financial condition which is associated with parents occupation and educational achievement of their children mostly increase the learning opportunity for their brilliant children. The educational goals absolutely effected by the economic situations of the students. For the economically disadvantages students scholarships are considered the amazing blessing because scholarships provide them the smooth way in attaining their educational aims. Scholarships are crucial to carry out the performance aspirations and tendencies of students at higher level. The scholarship holders students of middle class students perform well and too much ambitious for the achieving their all educational goals Sahatciu and Daors (2016) argued that the mostly people were deprived from better education just because of financial crises and high expenditures of education. The loss in the field of education of talented students is the greatest loss of prosperity of the nation. In this situation every one has to know the worth of education for the developed society. So students must apply for scholarships, give up their jobs and focus on their education. Scholarships are the appreciable tool which not only provide financial assistance to the students but also provide them a better way to perform well, motivation to attain good GPA, honor in the society, relaxation of achieving good education and security for gaining good jobs for earning sincere livelihood.
In this chapter, we described the research procedure for this study. A research methodology is a research process adopted or employed to systematically and scientifically present the results of a study to the research audience viz. a vis, the study beneficiaries.
Research designs are perceived to be an overall strategy adopted by the researcher whereby different components of the study are integrated in a logical manner to effectively address a research problem. In this study, the researcher employed the survey research design. This is due to the nature of the study whereby the opinion and views of people are sampled. According to Singleton & Straits, (2009), Survey research can use quantitative research strategies (e.g., using questionnaires with numerically rated items), qualitative research strategies (e.g., using open-ended questions), or both strategies (i.e., mixed methods). As it is often used to describe and explore human behaviour, surveys are therefore frequently used in social and psychological research.
POPULATION OF THE STUDY
According to Udoyen (2019), a study population is a group of elements or individuals as the case may be, who share similar characteristics. These similar features can include location, gender, age, sex or specific interest. The emphasis on study population is that it constitutes of individuals or elements that are homogeneous in description.
This study was carried to examine the impact of scholarship awards on the academic achievement of business education recipient in tertiary institution in Anambra state. Unizik form the population of the study.
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
This chapter presents the analysis of data derived through the questionnaire and key informant interview administered on the respondents in the study area. The analysis and interpretation were derived from the findings of the study. The data analysis depicts the simple frequency and percentage of the respondents as well as interpretation of the information gathered. A total of eighty (80) questionnaires were administered to respondents of which only seventy-seven (77) were returned and validated. This was due to irregular, incomplete and inappropriate responses to some questionnaire. For this study a total of 77 was validated for the analysis.
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain The impact of scholarship awards on the academic achievement of business education recipient in tertiary institution in Anambra state.. In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the impact of scholarship awards on the academic achievement of business education recipient in tertiary institution in Anambra state.
This study was on the impact of scholarship awards on the academic achievement of business education recipient in tertiary institution in Anambra state.. Three objectives were raised which included: To analyse if access to scholarships increases the academic performance of business education recipient in tertiary institutions in higher institutions in Anambra State, to investigate the impact of scholarships on business education recipient in tertiary institutions with low soci-economic status as against business education recipient in tertiary institutions with high socio-economic status and to investigate whether the impact of scholarships on the business education recipient in tertiary institutions’ academic achievement is positive or negative. A total of 77 responses were received and validated from the enrolled participants where all respondents were drawn from Unizik. Hypothesis was tested using Chi-Square statistical tool (SPSS).
In conclusion, the research underscores the substantial role that scholarship awards play in shaping the academic trajectory of business education recipients in Anambra State’s tertiary institutions. By alleviating financial burdens and creating an environment conducive to learning, scholarships can indeed contribute to improved academic outcomes. However, these outcomes are contingent on a combination of factors, including students’ motivation, institutional support, and the effective implementation of scholarship initiatives. Moving forward, a concerted effort to refine and expand scholarship programs while addressing the broader educational ecosystem will maximize their potential to drive academic success and contribute to the overall growth of the students and the society at large.
Based on the comprehensive analysis conducted in this study on the impact of scholarship awards on the academic achievement of business education recipients in tertiary institutions in Anambra State, several recommendations emerge that could enhance the effectiveness of scholarship programs and their influence on student outcomes:
- Diversify Scholarship Criteria: Scholarship programs should consider expanding their criteria beyond academic performance alone. While maintaining academic excellence as a key factor, including parameters that gauge students’ leadership skills, community involvement, and potential for future contributions to their field can help identify well-rounded individuals who can maximize the benefits of the scholarship.
- Comprehensive Support Services: Alongside financial assistance, scholarship recipients should have access to comprehensive support services, including academic advising, counseling, and mentorship programs. These services can provide students with guidance, resources, and a sense of belonging, helping them navigate challenges and excel in their studies.
- Holistic Approach to Personal Development: Scholarship programs should promote holistic personal and professional development. Encouraging recipients to engage in extracurricular activities, workshops, internships, and networking opportunities can contribute to their overall growth, enhancing their preparedness for the competitive job market.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Institutions offering scholarships should establish a structured system for monitoring and evaluating the progress of recipients. Regular assessments can help identify areas where additional support might be needed, enabling timely interventions and ensuring that scholarship recipients remain on track academically.
- Ali , S. 2013. Factors Affecting the Academic Achievement of Students. American Journal of Educational Research. 1(8): 283-289.
- Fryer, J., D. Allen and R. G. 2011. Financial Incentives and Students Achievement: Evidence From Randomized Trials. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 126(4), 1755-1798.
- Mealli, F., M. Patel and R. Carla. 2012 . “Evaluating the Effects of University Grants by using Regression Discontinuity Designs” Journal of Royal Statistic Society. 175 (3):775–798.
- Omeje , A.N., W. Sauz and S.O. Abugu, 2015. The Impact of Scholarship’s on Students Academic Performance: A Case of Tertiary Institutions in Enugu State, Nigeria. Bulletin of Business and Economics, 4(2), 93-104
- Piketty, W. 2014. ’’The Impact of Scholarships on Students Career: The Case of IPKO Foundation Next Generation Scholarship’’ Thesis.
- Qazi , W., A. S. Raza, S. T. Jawaid, and A. Z. M. Karim, 2016. ‘’Does Expanding Higher Education Reduce Income Inequality in Emerging Economy? Evidence From Pakistan.’’ Studies in Higher Education: 1-21.
- Tomul, E., S. Aazen and G. Polat, 2013. The Effects of Socio Economic Characteristics of Students on Their Academic Achievement in Higher Education. American Journal of Educational Research, 1(10), 449-455