The Role of Adult Literacy Education Programme (a Case Study of Etsako East L.g.a Edo State)
Aims Of The Study
The primary objective of the study is as follows:
- To examine if there is an high rate of illiteracy in Nigeria.
- To examine the impact of the adult education on the participants in Etsako East, Edo state.
- To examine the role of adult literacy Education Programme plays in the development of Etsako East, Edo state.
- To examine the contributions of adult education in achieving sustainable development in Etsako East, Edo state.
- To examine how to improve the literacy level of the people of Etsako East.
REVIEW OF LITERATURE
Our focus in this chapter is to critically examine relevant literatures that would assist in explaining the research problem and furthermore recognize the efforts of scholars who had previously contributed immensely to similar research. The chapter intends to deepen the understanding of the study and close the perceived gaps.
Precisely, the chapter will be considered in three sub-headings:
- Conceptual Framework
- Theoretical Framework
Adult Literacy Programme
Adult literacy programs are regarded as the programs that are community-based volunteer organization, which make provision of variety of services to enable the adults to achieve personal goals through literacy. In this case, the learners are motivated towards the achievement of personal goals through literacy. Through these programs, the learners are imparted knowledge in terms of various learning strategies. It is essential for the learners to put into operation, the learning methods in an appropriate manner to facilitate learning. It is usually recommended that one should acquire an understanding of the lesson plans and academic concepts through putting into practice, writing methods. The lesson plans and concepts need to learned and then one should write them. On the other hand, memorization is another strategy that is put into operation. When the individuals need to prepare for tests and exams, they usually memorise the concepts from textbooks as well as notes, which they have written earlier. Therefore, the meaning and significance of adult literacy programs are acknowledged, when the students are able to understand the learning methods.
The initiation of adult literacy programs are focused upon fulfilment of two main objectives. These include, community needs and to support the larger initiative (What is Adult Literacy? n.d.). Communities can assess and interpret their own needs in a number of different ways. In the literacy programs, it needs to be ensured that students augment their understanding and acquire an efficient information in terms of concepts, so they are able to promote well-being of not only themselves, but also communities. In rural as well as in urban communities, there are individuals, who are overwhelmed by the problems of poverty, illiteracy and unemployment. It is necessary to implement measures, which would alleviate these problems. Therefore, in the adult literacy programs, the students are provided with the opportunities to participate in tasks and activities, which enable them to alleviate these problems and promote well-being. Therefore, when the individuals are able to make use of their knowledge and skills in promoting community well-being, they are able to understand the meaning and significance of adult literacy programs.
The adult literacy programs need to support a larger initiative. A larger initiative needs to take into consideration various factors. These include, prevention of crime and violence, substance abuse prevention, promoting health and well-being among community members, management of resources, promoting education, alleviating conditions of poverty, backwardness, illiteracy and unemployment, inculcating the traits of morality and ethics, child development, skills development and providing job training. It is vital for the individuals, belonging to various categories and backgrounds to generate awareness in terms of these factors. As, they will be able to achieve their goals and objectives and enhance their overall quality of lives. In imparting knowledge and understanding to the students in terms of these factors, it is vital for the instructors to put into operation the teaching-learning methods and instructional strategies in an appropriate manner. Therefore, it can be stated that when the students understand and implement these factors in a well-organized manner, they are able to acquire an efficient understanding of meaning and significance of adult literacy programs.
In this chapter, we described the research procedure for this study. A research methodology is a research process adopted or employed to systematically and scientifically present the results of a study to the research audience viz. a vis, the study beneficiaries.
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
This chapter presents the analysis of data derived through the questionnaire and key informant interview administered on the respondents in the study area. The analysis and interpretation were derived from the findings of the study. The data analysis depicts the simple frequency and percentage of the respondents as well as interpretation of the information gathered. A total of eighty (80) questionnaires were administered to respondents of which only seventy-seven (77) were returned and validated. This was due to irregular, incomplete and inappropriate responses to some questionnaire. For this study a total of 77 was validated for the analysis.
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
In this study, our focus was to examine the role of adult literacy education programme (a case study of etsako east l.g.a edo state) using selected resident in Etsako as a case study. The study specifically was aimed at highlighting if there is an high rate of illiteracy in Nigeria. examine the impact of the adult education on the participants in Etsako East, Edo state.
examine the role of adult literacy Education Programme plays in the development of Etsako East, Edo state. examine the contributions of adult education in achieving sustainable development in Etsako East, Edo state. To examine how to improve the literacy level of the people of Etsako East
in Lagos state . A total of 77 responses were validated from the enrolled participants where all respondent are drawn from resident of Etsako local government area.
Based on the finding of this study, the following conclusions were made:
- There is an high rate of illiteracy in Nigeria.
- There are impact of the adult education on the participants in Etsako East, Edo state.
- Adult literacy Education Programme has played a role in the development of Etsako East, Edo state.
- Adult education has contributed in achieving sustainable development in Etsako East, Edo state.
- literacy level of the people of Etsako East can be improved.
Based on the responses obtained, the researcher proffers the following recommendations:
- Adult education should be vigorously pursued as through it there would be an all round development in the nation.
- Efforts must be made at the grassroots level through the Local Government
- Offices with concerted efforts at the state level to coordinate efforts at all adult education centres and properly fund the programme, while the federal level does not lay behind in finding adult and non-formal education as it does in the case of formal education.
- Adequate care must be taken to solve all the challenges facing the realization of adult functional literacy.
- Adedokun, M.O (2011): A Handbook of Community Development, Lagos, Honey-crown Educational Publishes.
- Adedokun, M.O. (2008): Introduction to Adult Education; Ibadan Bolmor Keybooks Publishers.
- Adult literacy and Numeracy in Scotland (2001 pdf) In www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc. 7-11-11
- Chapter – II. (n.d.). Literacy Movement in India. Retrieved July 19, 2020 from
- Development UNDP (www.wiki/org. 07/11/11).
- Ewuzie, C. Change in Adult Education www.eaea.org – Accessed – 9-10-11.
- FME Baseline Report (2001): In National Blueprint for Adult and Non formal Education in Nigeria FRN.
- Functional Literacy: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/functional_literacy. 20/10/11
- Human Development Report (2009). “Overcoming barriers: Human Mobility and Development; UNDP (www.wiki/org. 07-11-11).
- Human Development Report (2009): “Overcoming barriers: human Mobility and
- Lankshear, C and Knobel, M (2006): New Literacies: Everyday Practices and Classroom Learning; Philadelphia, Open University Press.
- Lerman, R.I. and Schmidt, S.R. (1999): The Urban Institute: Functional Literacy and Labour Mark Outcomes in www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/history/ human/report.
- Literacy and Health: World Education, Engage, Educate and Inspire: www.world.ed.org – 19-11-11.